BIM (building information modeling) is a process that helps to manage the complexity and improves the performance of the construction projects.
Advantages of using BIM instruments
- BIM consulting offers digital 3D visualization will allow the team to identify the correct the errors in the design efficiently.
- Changes in the building structures can be checked It helps to improve the quality and resolve conflicts quickly.
- Various design options can be tried and implement the best design considering the cost, and the performance.
- Effective data management and improves the efficiency.
Basic need for open source BIM toolkits
Open-source software tool makes use of the open standard in its interface and the design. It will further let the sharing of BIM date with the suppliers, partners, and customers. Open-source software will enable program modification quickly. You can change the user interface or include special functions, etc.
Three effective open source BIM softwares
- xBIM – eXtensible Building Information Modeling: xBIM make a sincere effort to allow the users to bypass the abyss and reach the business value. It offers realistic examples at the time of creation of building development projects. xBIM allows quick manipulation of the IFC building components. One can quickly work on the windows, doors, panels, and beams.xBIM facilitates to generate new functions to expand the potential of marketable BIM tools like the Autodesk Revit. The sample xBIM applications like iCIM (Interoperable Carbon Information Modeling) allow the designer to view the impact of carbon on their plan throughout the building lifecycle.
- BIM server: This was produced on the basis that every construction project is unique. Therefore, it allows the construction managers to have focused applications. BIMserver is used to develop a unique application for every project. You must have some programming skills to write your design. However, it is worth the knowledge ass you can stand different in your plan. This tool is available under the license issued by GNU Affero GPLv3. One can utilize it for free and even customize per his need.
- B-processor: This tool is available from the foundation of the BIM, and it is not a plugin or CAD tool. Relatively this tool allows 3D mock-up of any building to be learned The spaces and structures are well-placed in tags, and they can be used readymade to get the cost details, carbon marks data, and the alerts about the conflicts in the design.
BIM is becoming an integral part of every construction activity. Few clients have already made it mandatory for their construction projects. BIM is beneficial to builders, engineers, designers, and architects.
There are several open source BIM tools, and they are available for free. However, one must know their need to select the best tool. For instance, for a professional designer can opt for a BIMserver as he may understand the nuances in design. On the other hand, one who is looking for help in designing can go for xBIM that offers some sample applications.